I love fried rice and sadly, with AIP, rice is off the menu. It can be reintroduced at later stages but rice should still remain a treat, due to the amount of “sugar” a bowl of rice actually represents (about 10 teaspoons of sugar in one serving, which is 4 teaspoons more than your daily recommended intake – see more info below*).
So in comes cauliflower. Who knew you can turn cauliflower into “rice” (I also made “rice” with parsnips, same principle applies – but that’s for another time!). And it is so simple and actually quicker to cook than the real thing (especially if you cook brown rice, which takes for ever!).
An additional point is usually fried rice includes Soy Sauce, which is also off the menu for AIP. The AIP alternative for Soy Sauce is “Coconut Aminos” which come from – wait for it – coconut. It is quite similar to soy sauce and does a good replacement job.
I love this dish, because it’s a massive comfort food meal and it also happens to deliver 2 to 3 portions of vegetables, without even trying!!
Cauliflower fried "rice"
- 1 cauliflower in florets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 piece (2cm) ginger grated or chopped finely
- 1 carrot finely sliced
- 1 courgette sliced
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 handful kale or spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos this is the brand I use
- 1 tbsp fish sauce this is the brand I use, Red Boat Fish sauce, as it is 100% pure, free from additives, sugar or salt - it is an AIP/Paleo staple
- 1 handful of coriander leaves & fresh spring onions (chopped) Optional - for garnish
- 3 chicken thighs (cut into pieces) Optional - for a main course
- Place the cauliflower - raw - into a food processor and process it until it looks like couscous (rather than rice). I usually do this in 2 or 3 batches, to make sure it doesn’t get all mushed up. Reserve on the side
- Use a wok or large frying pan such as a cast iron skillet.
- Cook the onion on medium heat until softened
- Add the ginger & garlic and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the carrots & courgettes and stir fry until soft
- Add cauliflower and cook until soft - between 5 and 10 mins
- Add mushrooms & green leafy and the 2 sauces
- If using chicken, add the chicken at the same time as the carrots & courgettes. If using prawns, add them in the last stage.